Snowman day in Hawaii!

Working on an army base and not at a local school I assumed many of my kids have seen snow! Boy was I wrong! Most of my kids have never seen snow or have never build a snowman! 

So last week I decided to have a snowman day! 
I started off by talking about snowmen and words that describe them!We read the book Snowmen at Night and The Snowy Day to help us.

I showed them this picture I found on Cara Carroll's blog and new I wanted to incorporate this art activity into my day!

I gave each student a blank black and blue sheet of paper. They also got a large sheet of white paper.
Students used a white crayon to draw the outline of their snowman's face. Then use scissors to cut the white paper into many little pieces and glue them into the snowman's outline.



Once done with the snowman's face, I had them do the same thing with the nose.


Once students finished the snowman's nose it was time to add snowflakes and a moon. They also had a writing prompt to complete. Here is my snowman!
 I think the final art projects turned out awesome. They had so much fun!



Next, we worked on making snowman cupcakes! They were delicious!

The last, we worked on my unit
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Frostys-New-Suit-430199

Students designed a new suit for Frosty and wrote him a letter persuading him to buy their suit. 
Of course I forgot to take pictures of their final pieces:(

This last week of school should be really fun! We have holidays around the world, Santa activities, and Polar Express...just to name a few! 

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I love The Snowy Day! Your snowmen came out so cute!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely stunned by the talent of that girl and I appreciate your work on Hawaii army base also. I might pay a visit in Hawaii very soon.

    ReplyDelete