Friday Freebie

Welcome to week 4 of Friday Freebie!


This week I bring you
Hi everyone! My name is Amelia and I blog over at Where the Wild Things Learn
I teach 4th Grade Language Arts and Social Studies and absolutely LOVE my job. The day to day excitement makes me really appreciate my job! 

One of the things I strongly dislike hearing from my students is, "I HATE to write!!" I want my students to love writing. I want them to see it as a form of expression, reflection, and just a fun way to share. 
 
I do Daily 5 in my classroom for Language Arts, and Work on Writing (my kiddos call it WOW) is one of our stations. In the beginning of the year I set the tone for a positive and exciting experience at this station! I introduce many different creative writing options to get students excited about writing! In this way, they are beginning writing in my classroom with a positive attitude that will hopefully keep for the remainder of the year as we get into more complex writing tasks.

One of my, and my students favorite writing activities is the "Blind Pick a Story" activity. 
 
I cut up and laminate strips that have character, setting, and plot ideas on them and put them in separate little bins that have lids. 
 
 
Students lift off the lid and blindly pick up one of each. They then use the task card and follow the directions to build a story with these three story elements. 

They LOVE the element of surprise, and are really forced "out of the box" in their writing to be creative and expressive in their writing! 

I hope you are able to use this freebie in your classroom and your students enjoy it as much as mine do! Happy Friday and Happy Teaching :)
 
If you would like to be featured in my Friday Freebie! Just sign up here! PRETTY please??? I would love to have you!
 

4 comments:

  1. That is a really cool idea. I always struggled getting my students to write. This is something I can't wait to try out.
    Rebbecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and have already downloaded the freebie! Thanks for sharing! :)

    -Allison
    Adventures in Room 204

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to the two people who left comments:) It means so much to me! Please email me so I can send you a little something:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing! I want my students to view writing positively, too, and think this will hook some of them in.

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete