Friday Freebie:)

Happy Friday! Welcome back for another Friday Freebie!

Happy Friday everyone! 
I am so happy to be here on Tonya's blog. I've been stalking blogs for a long, long time now and I LOVE this blog, it is one of my all-time favorites! Tonya is just so incredibly generous, I am so happy to be here. 

You can normally find me over at my blog....
Looking From Third to Fourth
I have been teaching Grade 3/4 for most of my 14 year teaching career and where I teach that means Grade 3 testing in Reading, Writing and Mathematics. 

Every year in June we go through the same process and every year in June I tell myself I must teach "equations" better next year so that my students do not have such a hard time with these questions. But of course when this happens it is June and I am exhausted and just want to survive the last few days, pack up and head home for the summer. But not this year, this year I am actually doing something about it. 

Each year on the test there are addition and subtraction questions that ask the students to apply their knowledge to balance the equation. Here is an example: 5 + 7 = 3 + ? But of course they are never that simple. They usually look like this: 57 + 21 = 68 + ? or my favorite: 321 + 59 = 761 - ? and the last two years they added ones that look like this 28 + 14 = 20 + 10 + 8 + 4. Our textbook does not cover these skills explicitly and I have no resource that addresses these skills so I am doing what we all do, I am making a unit so that I can teach these skills throughout the year (not just right before the test!). 

I just started this unit (I wanted to start it before I lost my motivation and just chilled by the water) so click here to pick up a four freebie pages from the unfinished unit : ).
 Thanks again to Tonya! Now that I am finally on summer break I am looking forward to getting some of the items on my to do list done!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Love this freebie. We had the same discussion at our school about equations. I can't wait to see the final product to snag it too. Thanks so much.
    Rebbecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddos struggle with balanced equations, too. Such frustration! Thanks for the freebie and I'm looking forward to the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! I've already downloaded and printed it out! :)

    -Allison
    Adventures in Room 204

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was trying to download your pages, however, when I clicked the link it took me to a blank page. Do I need to have Drop Box in order to see it and download it?

    Shelley @ Rhymes With Purple
    http://purplepolkladots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete